DM-UY 1143 Ideation and Prototyping
Spring 2018 • Arlene Ducao • Fridays • 11:00AM-2:40PM • 2MTC MAGNET 811
Recommended Audio Podcasts
- Revision Path Maurice Cherry interviews designers, developers, and other creators of color weekly.
- StartUp Podcast StartUp is a podcast series about what it’s really like to get a business off the ground.
- In Season 1, Alex Blumberg told the story of launching this business, Gimlet Media, a podcast network.
- In Season 2, Lisa Chow joined Alex to follow an entirely new company: a company called Dating Ring, founded by two women in their 20s, outsiders in the male-dominated world of Silicon Valley.
- In Season 3, rather than following one company over many episodes, they are telling stories about many companies that all have something in common: their companies are stuck, and they know they need to make a big change.
- The Tim Ferriss Show Tim Ferriss deconstructs world-class performers from eclectic areas (investing, sports, business, art, etc.) to extract the tactics, tools, and routines you can use. This includes favorite books, morning routines, exercise habits, time-management tricks, and much more.
- Unmistakeable Creative Srini Rao interviews instigators, rebels, and people with a pathological inability to accept the status quo.
- Cracking Creativity by Michael Michalko
- IdeaSpotting: How to Find Your Next Great Idea by Sam Harrison
- IDEO method cards
- Steal like an Artist by Austin Kleon
- The Art of Looking Sideways by Alan Fletcher
- Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques by Michael Michalko
- Thinkpak cards
Artists’ & Designers’ Processes
- Creativity: The Perfect Crime by Philippe Petit
- Lynch on Lynch by Chris Rodley
- MTIV: Process, Inspiration and Practice for the New Media Designer by Hillman Curtis
- The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron
- The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life by Twyla Tharp and Mark Reiter
- Theories and Documents of Contemporary Art: A Sourcebook of Artists’ Writings by Kristine Stiles and Peter Selz
- Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers by Alexander Osterwalder and Yves Pigneur
- Designing for Interaction by Dan Safer
- Exposing the Magic of Design: A Practitioner’s Guide to the Methods and Theory of Synthesis by Jon Kolko
- Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rulebreakers, and Changemakers by Dave Gray, Sunni Brown, and James Macanufo
- Universal Methods of Design by Bella Martin and Bruce Hanington
- Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping by Paco Underhill
- Blah Blah Blah by Dan Roam
- Unfolding The Napkin by Dan Roam
- Web Redesign 2.0 | Workflow That Works by Kelly Goto & Emily Cotler
- How to Make Sense of Any Mess: Information Architecture for Everybody 1.0 Edition by Abby Covert
- Any Edward Tufte book
- Getting Real by 37Signals
- Show Your Work by Austin Kleon
Recommended Writing Resources
- The Elements of Style, Fourth Edition by Strunk & White
- The Mac is Not a Typewriter by Robin Williams
- How to Write Footnotes and Endnotes in MLA Style
- The OWL at Purdue: MLA Formatting and Style Guide
- The OWL at Purdue: Annotated Bibliographies
- Brown, Tim. Design Thinking Harvard Business Review. June 2008.
- Citizen Architect, Sam Mockbee & Rural Studio
- Cognitive Media Process and Work (visual scribing / note-taking)
- Dan Roam: "Blah Blah Blah: What To Do When Words Don't Work" | Talks at Google
- "The Deep Dive," ABC's Nightline
- Designing Interactions Interviews
- Exit Through The Gift Shop by Banksy
- Found Magazine – http://foundmagazine.com
- Hillman Curtis artist films
- Lost Image Desk
- Make Magazine
- An Incomplete Manifesto for Growth by Bruce Mau
Recommended Resources for Creative Process Annotated Bibliograpy and Video Documentary
- Fair Use Media (images / audio /video)
- Royalty-Free sound
- Creative Commons Video